Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I have red patches every where, I have had it for over 6

Customer Question

I have red patches every where
JA: When did the patches first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: I have had it for over 6 months now. It has been especially bad on vulva area. I have had test to say that it is now thrush or yeast infection.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about the patches?
Customer: No I havent yet I have been recommended a dertmologist and am on the waiting list.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: I am going through the menopause but I do not think it is realated.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Any recent unprotected sexual exposure?

Have you seen a doctor for this?

Can you share a pic of a red patch?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

The most common causes of such prolonged rashes are:

Allergy /  Atopic dermatitis: It consists of a red rash or bumps which can be found anywhere in the body. Cause is due to an allergen which is recurrent in the environment.

Contact dermatitis: this is a similar type of allergic reaction to something which is in direct contact with the skin, like nickel found in jewelry or watch straps, particular brands of cosmetics, etc.

Scabies: scabies is due to infestation by mites. You need antiscabies treatment for this.

Granuloma annulare: this causes recurrent bumps which are often in a ring formation, cause is unknown.

Lichen planus: this gives rise to itchy purple or reddish coloured flat bumps, cause is believed to be immunological.

Psoriasis: gives rise to itchy red rash associated with silvery scale like patches. cause is believed to be immunological.

Autoimmune conditions: like scleroderma, psoriasis, dermatomyositis, epidermolysis bullosa, and bullous pemphigoid

Skin infections: like impetigo or erysipelas.

For you the most likely is Allergy/Atopic dermatitis. This is often provoked by exposure to some allergen. You need to pay careful attention to your environment to see if you can find out any allergen which could be the cause. You may be having prolonged exposure to an allergen.

It could also be related to certain medicines, foods, suppments, etc. Check out whether there is any medication associated with the rash. Also try to recall any associated foods, specially foods like nuts, some new types of meat, fish, etc associated with the rash. You could be having a food allergy. You should also watch out for any soaps or detergents. Also try to recall any activities associated with this, like hiking to some place, cleaning the house or some area of the house, some hobby like wood working etc which coincide with the rashes.
If you find anything which could have caused the allergy, then you have to avoid it. However, quite as often, no definite cause of such allergic reactions can be found, do not worry if this is so. Most of the time, cause for Atopic dermatitis is not detected.

You should take an antihistaminic like Cap. Claritin (OTC) one capsule daily. Also apply 1% Hydrocortisone ointment. This will get rid of the rash.

However, if the rashes keep recurring, you should see a doctor, preferably a dermatologist. All the other causes I mentioned need to be excluded.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti