How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Baker Your Own Question
Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 4178
Experience:  MD
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr Baker is online now

I have severe eczema of both ears. I have had it for 18

Customer Question

I have severe eczema of both ears. I have had it for 18 month. It started in the ear now it is spreading down both sides of my face. I have tried every eczema cream, ointment and spray. Nothing is working. They itch and I scratch till they bleed even though I try not to. It's worse when they are warm. They weep all over my pillow. What can I do apart from cut my ears off
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: I do itch a lot but nothing like my ears
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was told I had thrush of the inny ear but that has cleared. I have had antibiotics. I'm now using a steroid cream. The skin is bright red.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

What treatments have been tried so far? Do you have a photo?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have tried
Fucadin H
Olive oil spray
Other creams but not at home at the moment so can't remember them all. I haven't got a photo.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

Thanks. So eczema is likely allergy based, but all the time the skin hasn’t healed, recurrence is likely.

if you can provide a photo I can make a more appropriate suggestion, but avoidance of irritants and suppression with topical steroids is appropriate. If it appears infected then a swab is needed. If with steroids it does not improve then a Dermatologist would consider a biopsy.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks. I have had swabs, I'm usinng steroid cream at the moment.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

Excellent, if it persists, consider getting a referral if it persists.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Well I know that. Haven't told me anything I don't know.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

What is your question then please?