Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have an ingrown hair on my bikini that has been there for

Customer Question

Hi there, I have an ingrown hair on my bikini that has been there for a long time. I am struggling to get an appointment with my doctor and it’s becoming really irritated
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No I did an online appointment and they came back to say book and appointment but I haven’t managed to get through to them for three weeks I’m not taking any medication for it I have had it for about a year or so but I’m fed up with it. I have just started getting laser hair removal and the lady there said I need to get this sorted as it doesn’t look good
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so, thank you
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Please post a pic of the concerned area to provide your with precise diagnosis and treatment plan.

How big is it?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have had this raised bum which is hard for over a year now hoping it would go naturally. It becomes irritated and sore often
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 15 days ago.

thanks

You can try the following over the counter treatment option:

1. Salicylic acid 10% peel daily in daytime for 6 weeks--to cleanse the pores.

and

2. Adapalene 0.1% gel daily at bedtime for 6 weeks at least --helps to regenerate healthy skin and control inflammation.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thank you would I get these from a pharmacy?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 15 days ago.

Or online

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you do I need to do anything else?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 15 days ago.

welcome

Please follow below advice to prevent in future:

100% effective treatment is to let the hair grow. Once the hairs get to be a certain length they will not grow back into the skin. For most cases, totally avoid shaving for 3 to 4 weeks until all lesions have subsided, while applying a mild prescription cortisone cream to the involved skin each morning. Shaving every other day, rather than daily, will improve the condition.. If one must use a blade, water soften the hair first with a hot, wet washcloth for 5 minutes. Then use lubricating shaving gel (Edge, Aveeno), and the Aveeno PFB Bump Fighter Razor or the Flicker razor. Shave with the grain of the hair and do not stretch the skin. Use only one stroke over each area of the hairy area.

Electrolysis and laser hair removal should be considered when all else fails, but these are expensive and take repeated visits. There is a very small risk of scarring.

Medications are also prescribed to speed healing of the skin. Glycolic acid lotion 8% is effective (Alpha-hydrox, Neo-Strata, others). Prescription antibiotic gels (Benzamycin, Cleocin-T) or oral antibiotics are also used.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 15 days ago.

welcome