Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I have a mole on my back that has always been a substantial

Hi, I have a mole on my back that has always been a substantial size. I had it looked at and was referred to a dermatologist a few years ago. They were not too concern despite the mole being quite raised and 10mm by 6mm in size. They did tell me however that if anything changes I need to return.
JA: When did the mole first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: I've had it for as long as I can remember, so I think it turned up on my back when I was a child, probably around 10? I have not used any medication on it, no. It has grown since I had it last measured. We only managed to use a ruler to measure it but we believe it's now around 16mm H by 10mm W. It's very raised to the point it catches on my clothes or hair sometimes and I've been told it looks very rough in texture. The border is still relatively even but I am only going of what other people can tell me as I cannot see it properly myself.
JA: The Dermatologist will be able to answer that. When was your last visit to a dermatologist?
Customer: About 8 years ago.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: No.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please share a pic. You can send a pic by attaching an image using the paperclip icon at the top or bottom of your chatbox.

Hello.
Without the information requested in my previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps.

You have to observe for signs in a mole which are defined by the acronym ABCDE.

A is for Asymmetry: One half of a mole or birthmark does not match the other.
B is for Border: The edges are irregular, ragged, notched, or blurred.
C is for Color: The color is not the same all over and may include different shades of brown or black, or sometimes with patches of pink, red, white, or blue.
D is for Diameter: The spot is larger than 6 millimeters across (about ¼ inch – the size of a pencil eraser), although melanomas can sometimes be smaller than this.
E is for Evolving: The mole is changing in size, shape, or color.

You have to observe for these signs. But dont get obsessed about it, moles are very common as you have probably observed and only very rarely do they pose a risk.

SHow this to your doctor at your next appointment.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello there,I am terribly sorry, I haven't been able to take a photo due to being at work. Am I able to send you a photo this evening?

Yes sure

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (245L5T4)
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The mole roughly measures 16mm by 10mm I think. We used a ruler so may not be 100% accurate. It measured 10mm by 6mm when the doctor last measured it. It catches on my clothes and such all the time as well.

It is a benign lesion dont worry, since colour, border and symmetry are fine.

But by diameter it is large. Moles do tend to grow very slowly over time, so this itself is not worrying.

Still, I would advise you to get this removed. A mole of this size should be removed. The procedure is very simple and you need not worry about a scar as in any case it is on your back only.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay, thank you! Would having this removed when it is not a concern be classed as cosmetic though or is there enough reason to have this removed under NHS?

Your doctor will probably agree to remove this as a precautionary measure because of the size, not just for cosmetic reasons.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Amazing, thank you! I will get an appointment sorted right away! Thank you for your time!