Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MD
23744323

What are the best Supplementes to take to balance hormones

Hello. What are the best Supplementes to take to balance hormones in order to fix hormonal acne. Thank you

Naturally, Vitex supplement 400 mg daily, Zinc 50 mg, magnesium 400 mg and Berberine extract 500 mg daily should help.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Vitex, is that a brand ?

you can search by that name google

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I take B vitamins, can that be a cause for the hormonal acne ?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have been suffering from it for many years and it never goes away

may be not the cause

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The vitex supplement you just mentioned 400 mg daily one, that is for regulating menstrual cycle. I have a perfectly normal cycle , never had any issue with my periods

no that is how it is sold but the underlying mechanism is something you need to be aware of.

Acne is caused by excess androgen sensitivity.

it does not matter if you have regular period or not as the androgen sensitivity is a major problem here.

Naturally you need to reduce androgen and vitex does that.

I do not recommend natural treatment of severe acne as these are unproven way to treat --but at least there will not be any harm done

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying. Is there anything else you would recommend for someone with hormonal acne. It’s mainly only along my jawline and its under the skin, the bumps never come out and they are painful.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I also suffer from under active thyroid

Hormonal acne is caused by excess sensitivity of the skin to androgens
There is also increased oil production in the glands and bacterial infection in the glands causing severe eruptions and inflammation.
Treatment requires combination approach as detailed below:
Over the counter options:
1. Benzoyl peroxide 5% cream can be applied daily over the affected areas daytime.
and
2. Adapalene gel ( Differin) can be applied at night time to reduce inflammation and scarring.
Treatment needs to be continued for at least 12 weeks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can you please explain why you are recommending the Berberine extract ?

Berberine helps to improve insulin sensitivity believed to prevent androgen activities

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (S5G65VV)

that is correct

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can i just confirm, its this brand you mentioned yes ?

yes

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

welcome

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello. I spoke to you in regards ***** ***** acne yesterday and you recommended 50mg of zinc. After doing a bit of research this is quite a high dose to be taking in. Could you please explain why such a high dose is recommended in my case. Thank you