Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

I have a sebaceous cyst on my head and have been told I will

Customer Question

Hi, I have a sebaceous cyst on my head and have been told I will need to get this excised. Surrounding this area I also have lots of little spots and marks. Do you know what these are and how I can go about removing them? Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

These are small pustules, likely spots, if more around the cyst it is likely due to inflammation of the cyst

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

You could therefore see what happens after you have the cyst removed. If they however persist or continue then it can be managed like an acne, ideally avoid shaving your head close and possibly a long term antibiotic

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Excellent, thanks. Also I have been told that the area of the cyst itself has lots of scar tissue over it and therefore hair will never grow on that area, even after the cyst is removed. Do you know if this sounds right?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

That is my pleasure, yes that can happen, but they can remove some of this whilst the cyst is being removed

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
if they remove the scar tissue can hair grow there again?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

Yes, I would expect so