Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon
Experience:  MBBS MS
5625079

I have chronic itchy scalp I think it is related to an ear

I have chronic itchy scalp I think it is related to an ear infection
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: My ear problem started about 6 weeks ago it feels full and irritated but the itchy scalp has been there for 2 weeks I may have been overdoing washing my hair
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I don't think so

Welcome to JustAnswer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Dryness of the scalp is known to cause itching and this is all likely is due to washing it frequently.

Just a good scalp moisturizer or hair oil will take care of the itching.

Ear fullness can be due to eustachian tube dysfunction.

Dysfunction of the Eustachian tube can occur due to swelling of the mucosa in the nasopharynx or in the Eustachian tube, which in turn may occur because of

1) infection or

2) allergy.

This swelling can impede the Eustachian tube function. Following medications are used:

1) Decongestants; Sudafed (over the counter)

2) Antihistamines; Chlorpheniramine (Singlet) has the best result and is available without prescription

3) Steroids; prescription drugs

4) Analgesics; Motrin, Advil, Aleve

Valsalva maneuver (positive pressure against a closed nasal airway) usually equilibrates pressure in the middle ear to the outside and can be helpful if done 5-7 times a day.

I hope your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.