Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MD
23744323

Heloo, I have a one problem with my son, he is 15 and he has

Heloo, I have a one problem with my son, he is 15 and he has very bad acnee.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: He had from August skinoren gel. Zinkit vitamin, efaclar gel for micropiling , efaclar duo with spf 30,
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: And for 1week I stopped the skinoren and he aplaing strataderm because new is not the acnee so badly but is the scars

Dear Customer: Greetings, this is Dr. Basu, experienced Medical Specialist and former attending physician of Harvard Medical School. I am double board-certified with many years of experience. I did review your inquiry and I am hoping to give you at least some high quality
guidance here. Please ignore any call requests as they are automated responses by the website and not sent by the experts! TEXTING would be fine.
Please give me some time to review your concerns. Please be patient with me as I am on and off the computer so responses can be delayed at times, but I will be glad to help.

Please post a pic of the concerned area to provide you with precise diagnosis and treatment plan.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (2VGS3TM)

Thanks for pics.

This is severe hormonal acne --part of growing up related hormone changes.

The problem is severe and hence will require combination treatment approach preferably prescription only from a local doctor.

Hormonal acne is caused by excess sensitivity of the skin to androgens
There is also increased oil production in the glands and bacterial infection in the glands causing severe eruptions and inflammation.
Treatment requires combination approach as detailed below:
Over the counter options:
1. Benzoyl peroxide 5% cream can be applied daily over the affected areas daytime.
and
2. Adapalene gel ( Differin) can be applied at night time to reduce inflammation and scarring.
Treatment needs to be continued for at least 12 weeks.
Please avoid milk products as much as possible and also avoid refined sugar in your diet --they both can cause acne flare ups.
If you do not see any improvement after 12 weeks of above regimen, it is time for you to see local dermatologist for prescription treatment.
Following topical prescription regimen can be tried:
1. a topical antibiotic gel like clindamycin % gel.
If you already tried this before with no response, then next option is even stronger Dapsone 5% gel to be applied twice daily.
While using dapsone avoid using benzoyl peroxide cream or face wash form as they together can cause orange or yellow discoloration of skin and hair.

2. Tretinoin A 0.05% cream can be added at night time as well.
Nowadays, there is an anti androgen topical cream applied recently called Clascoterone 1% cream --can be applied twice daily over the severe lesions.