Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

I have loads of patches that are lighter than my skin

Customer Question

I have loads of patches that are lighter than my skin colour . All over my calves
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: it started a couple of years ago , but the patches have been getting worse.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nope
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I’d be pleased to assist you. Kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age? Male or female?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Female
Currently being checked if I have pcos as my periods cycles are really longNo medicines have been used
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have tried to use anti fungal shampoo on my legs but nothing works
Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

Can you upload the pictures of patches please?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I don’t want to talk on the phon
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Sure let me send that now
Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

Please don't worry all phone call requests are auto generated. It is fine if you do not want it. Talking through text chat is just fine with me.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
File attached (432MS55)
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you doctor! Have you received the picture ?
Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

Thanks Yes received

Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

Looks like you are having Vitiligo

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What does this mean
Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

Vitiligo is a long-term condition where pale white patches develop on the skin. It's caused by the lack of melanin, which is the pigment in skin.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
How do I get rid of it
Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

Vitiligo is caused by the lack of a pigment called melanin in the skin. Melanin is produced by skin cells called melanocytes, and it gives your skin its colour.

In vitiligo, there are not enough working melanocytes to produce enough melanin in your skin. This causes white patches to develop on your skin or hair. It's not clear exactly why the melanocytes disappear from the affected areas of skin.

Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

The white patches caused by vitiligo are usually permanent, although treatment options are available to reduce their appearance.

If the patches are relatively small, skin camouflage cream can be used to cover them up.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Okay great
Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

Steroid creams can also be used on the skin to restore some pigment, however long-term use can cause stretch marks and thinning of the skin

If steroid creams do not work, phototherapy (treatment with light) may be used.

Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

I would suggest to have a close skin examination once with skin specialist

Expert:  Zee J replied 21 days ago.

You are welcome

Please do let me know if you have any further questions in future I would be happy to answer

Best of luck