Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

Diagnosis of rash, No and none, No It's for my son who's 15

Diagnosis of rash
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No and none
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No It's for my son who's 15 months

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please share a pic of the rash. You can send a pic by attaching an image using the paperclip icon at the top or bottom of your chatbox.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (LMSZL3V)
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Great thank you I've attached three images. He has the rash on his collar bone, top of back and then patches are on his lower back, legs and arms. I am unsure if they are two different rashes as they don't appear the same as one is circle patches and another is little red spots. He has had this for approx 3 days, no temp, eating well and appears well in himself.

This looks very much like an allergy. It is probable that he has developed an allergy, ie, contact dermatitis, to something, you should check out whether you have started any new soap, ointment or detergent within this period. It could be from some new article of clothing or jewellery. They might also be due to some new medications that he is using.

It could also be due to some food that he took very recently. Watch out for foods like shell fish, sea fish, meats, cheese, etc. Also any new types of processed foods. If you do find anything which could be the cause, then try to avoid it.

Next, he can take an anti-allergic medicine, an antihistamine. But for any use of antihistaminic before 2 years of age, you should first discuss with his doctor, give him only after discussing with his doctor. He can take Benadryl elixir for children, an OTC anti-allergic medicine. The dose is about 0.5 mg per pound of bodyweight (or 1.25 mg per kilogram). For example, a 25 lb child would get one teaspoon of liquid or one chewable tablet every four to six hours.. Also, apply a soothing lotion like calamine lotion, also available OTC.

Another possibility is bug bites like bed bugs, mosquitoes, spiders, etc.. In any case the treatment would be the same.

The other likely cause, if he been exposed to much heat, is Prickly heat or Miliaria. This is essentially a reaction that occurs due to heat. The treatment for this is the same.

There are various other possibilities like scabies, eczema and other dermatological conditions which might cause similar spots, but in his case they are most likely to be allergy. So you can try out these two steps.

However, if new spots keep on appearing after you have tried this out for about 10 days, then you should approach your doctor and get it examined.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Great thank you for your help

Glad to help.

Wish him best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of his progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favorite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

A bonus is always welcome!!