Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

I developed redness, rash, itchiness, burning and soreness

Customer Question

Hello Pearl I developed redness, rash, itchiness, burning and soreness in my perennial (rectal area). I tried hydrocortisone, sudocream and daktakort none of which helped.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Since almost 2 weeks, symptoms got worse over this time. Symptoms are worse in the evening and night time, no specific triggers. Very sore after using toilet paper, shower
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have rectal fissure treating with disltzem. It’s 3rd time I have it and I never had problems with this cream. Also, I only use it internally. My skin is prone to dermatitis and eczema
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Anthony Osula replied 19 days ago.

Thanks for using just answer

Has the perenial area  been examined recently?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
by GP on Monday they seem to think it’s fungal and prescribed Daktakort but my symptoms are not relieved at all since I used it and in fact been getting worse.

Sound like some lichen type of rash, obviously I'm not able to examine

What is your specific question?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The question what treatment I could try please. Given that hydrocortisone, daktakort haven’t helped. I can send photos, but I don’t know if it’s appropriate being that it’s in perennial area

Pictures would definitlely help if you can send a good quality one though, if you cant let me know and I still have some suggestions on what you can try

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Photo1
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Photo 2
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Photo3
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Photo4
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I hope it’s ok, thank you

ok, you have lots of hyperpigmentation changes, have you been scratching the area?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No I haven’t I tried really hard not to. But I wash, use toilet paper and my skin is generally very sensitive. I also sit most day for my work. I also used wet toilet wipes but not any longer

I see this condition all the time, and it can be treated easily

You have severe dermatitis in this region.

I cant tell if fungal just by looking at it, your GP should have done a skin swab to make sure

I'll recommend trying the strongest steroid cream available called Dermovate, used once daily for not more than 4 weeks.

This should solve the problem. Creams like daktacort or hydrocortisone are too weak for this area.

If your GP thinks fungal, then he/she should have prescribed Trimovate instead of Daktacort which is far stronger

toilet wipes is a definite no

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you very much!

No worries, dermovate would have to be prescribed by your Dr as its very strong

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sorry one more question I have at home elocon and advantan. Can I use either one of them whilst I am waiting for GP spot to get prescription for the creams you advised?

Elocon is second to Dermovate in terms of strength so yes you can use that

I'll recommend Elocon over Advantan

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for your help
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Really appreciate it.

You are welcome