Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

I have some lumps/rash/redness on my R elbow, I’ve had it

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have some lumps/rash/redness on my R elbow, I’ve had it for a few years. It comes and then goes but doesn’t clear, I have used a variety of creams. It then comes back worse.
JA: When did the lumps first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: The appeared approximately 9 years ago, they didn’t bother me initially but are getting worse. I have used Zovirax (which was good), caneston, dermavate, benovate and steroid cream. Apologies for my spelling.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about the lumps?
Customer: I was referred to a dermatologist by my GP approximately 8yrs ago but I had been treating the area with cream and they had reduced. She wasn’t very interested to be honest.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: NKDA, no prescribed meds, no PMHX
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

I am sorry to hear, would you be able to provide a photo demonstrating these?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi, I have attached a photo
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It doesn’t itch, it doesn’t hurt
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It’s just unattractive and I’m not allowed to wear long sleeve’s at work
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

Thank you. If this is persistent I would suspect it could be a form of psoriasis.

Given what you have used you would have expected some response. Steroids will suppress it but the chronic nature is what makes me suspect psoriasis is a possible cause.

I would suggest that it is appropriate to have a skin biopsy of this at this point to confirm a diagnosis.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How do I go about getting a skin biopsy?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

You would need to either go to a local private dermatologist or request your Gp refers you.