Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

Red/flaky eye lids, 3 months petroleum jelly helps but it

Customer Question

Red/flaky eye lids
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: 3 months petroleum jelly helps but it never go,s away just not quite as red or flaky
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have had steroids but it didn’t make much difference
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please share a pic of the area. You can send a pic by attaching an image using the paperclip icon at the top or bottom of your chatbox.

This looks like Blepharitis.

Blepharitis is inflammation of the eyelid.

Blepharitis can occur due to infection, dandruff, malfunctioning of the oil glands of the eyelids, rosacea, etc.

This can be a chronic condition and difficult to treat.

Treatment is with antibiotic ointments, steroid ointments, etc.

You need to see an Eye doctor for this. Since it has been occurring for some time, you need a medical checkup and prescription medicines.

You should make an eye specialist appointment for this and get it checked up.

Till you get to the doctor you can take some steps at home. You have to take some regular care of your eyelids to keep them clean. This will ensure that you do not suffer from the ill effects. You should apply warm compresses and then clean the lids with baby shampoo. You have to maintain this care throughout.

You should also ensure that you do not have dandruff, you should use a good antidandruff shampoo if you have dandruff.

But you need to show an eye doctor for this.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They are not swollen just red and small amounts of flaking, plus itching
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 16 days ago.

Yes, it sounds like blepharitis, try the steps I mentioned.