Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I have been more or less diagnosed with Bullous Pemphigoid

I have been more or less diagnosed with Bullous Pemphigoid 1/6/22, but had the blisters longer. Next Dermatology appt. not til September. GP is seeing me monthly, but seems to have little knowledge of condition.
JA: When did pemphigoid first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: Some blisters are 2cm in diameter, thickish and oozy. When they hurt I prick them and have been draining a bit, else they burst, I try not to break the skin is this correct. I take lymecycline, niacin amide 500mgs b.d., and currently apply betaethasone b.d,before used trimovate
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about pemphigoid?
Customer: Yes at Royal Free, last seen 19/4/22 - diagnosed then. next appt 7/9/22, most drugs prescribed then. I then went to GP and got lymecycine and later betmamethasone.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: I am 82 yeas old, and have had psoriasis for many years, and 10 or so years ago skin rash ? to Lansoprozole. My current concern is as to how I should treat the blisters, fear of sepsis etc. I am pretty clean but not sterile in how I look after them, 50 years ago I was a nurse.

Regular dressing of the blisters at home is sufficient for this unless it develops complications. Also do not prick the blisters ever.

Steps for dressing:
Dress the blisters daily or on alternate days
Wash the wound with clean soap water
Then pour hydrogen peroxide over it to clean it further, you can also use Betadine solution or Shur Clens, or Savlon solution.
Apply Neosporin oint (OTC) or Savlon ointment over it, you can also use Bactroban oint.
Apply a clean sterile dressing over discharging blisters if possible. Hydrocolloid dressings are available OTC at pharmacies, use them for dressing daily. You can also use Tegaderm, Bioclusive or Second Skin.

Do the dressing everyday or every alternate day.

If there is a lot of pain, you can take Tab. Motrin (OTC).

This would be quite sufficient to get the blisters to heal.

Consult the doctor if:

Pain persists more than a week
pain appears to be increasing rather than decreasing
there is discharge of pus or blood from the wound. (A mild straw colored discharge is normal).

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have already written half of this and you suggested I call without allowing me to finish. I didn't realise it was just the one answer I got in 1st week for £5.00. I thank you for your help so far, what you have suggested is useful and I will try and carry much of it out.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was just saying the needle I use is almost sterile, well, well washed before each time I've used it, I use it minimally. It is all so time consuming and I get very tired with all the care my blisters, and body need. I live alone with a long haired cat which is also sometimes dirty, so I do take a lot of care. I also have some mobility problems so neighbours do most of my shopping. Are there any short cuts I can take with looking after the blisters? I see the GP again next week.

Please dont worry about the call request, it is generated automatically by the website, not by me. I will help you through text.

I am afraid there are no short cuts. I understand that you use a sterile needle, or at least a clean one, but I must still tell you that you should not prick the blisters. Dressing has to be done. I am sure your GP will help in getting nursing care for you so that a nurse can dress the  blisters. If there are any discharging blisters, then a dressing pad should be applied over such blisters.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I thank you for all your help, your advice has been useful, however I have decided to discontinue my membership of 'Just Answer', and am trying to get my NHS hospital appointment brought forward.