Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have found a new mole and would like to know if it looks

I have found a new mole and would like to know if it looks serious
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have contacted my gp but they have not come back to me and I am not on any medications
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no nothing else to know

Dear Customer: Greetings, this is Dr. Basu, experienced Medical Specialist and former attending physician of Harvard Medical School. I am board-certified with many years of experience. I did review your inquiry and I am hoping to give you at least some high-quality guidance here.

Please give me some time to review your concerns. Please be patient with me as I am on and off the computer so responses can be delayed at times, but I will be glad to help.

Please post a pic of the concerned area to provide you with precise diagnosis and treatment plan.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I'm not sure if it's constantly red, I did pick at it earlier in the day thinking it was a pimple

Thanks for posting the photo.

is there any change in size?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No change in size as far as I am aware, I only noticed it today I believe but I can't figure out how long it's been there

Does it bleed readily?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No it doesn't bleed on its own I'm not sure it really bled that much when I tried to pop it like a spot. I'm no sure what exactly you mean by readily but it doesn't bleed on its own and I can touch it without it bleeding

Do you have any history of skin cancer?

Prior mole removal?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No prior history or mole removal no

Thanks again for clarification.

Although there may be some change over time, the color, margin and shape of the lesion still looks regular.

There is no sign of spontaneous bleeding, no firm nodular appearance.

There is no profound darkening of the mole either.

Since no prior history of any skin cancer, that also makes it low risk.

So chances of being melanoma or a cancerous mole is very low here.

However, you should see a local dermatologist for proper evaluation to confirm-- not urgent.

Best wishes

I hope I was able to answer your question(s). If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is Dr Basu.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you Dr Basu, I'll make sure to add you as a favourite and rate our interaction.I'm sorry to bother also its just a peace of mind thing because I worry about these kinds of things.There isn't anything to worry about regarding that mole? And is there anything I should be aware of if it was to actually be something serious? Knowing these things really help with peace of mindAgain thank you for your time it means a lot

This does not look like melanoma, or any other type of skin cancer.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello, sorry to bother. I was wondering if you could have another look now that the redness has gone away?

Thanks again for another photo.

This still looks harmless --unlikely any cancerous.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

Best wishes