How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, Technician
Category: Digital Cameras
Satisfied Customers: 1727
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
Type Your Digital Cameras Question Here...
Rick is online now

Hi I am looking for the item part CYI-2556-000 ( Manual Focusing

This answer was rated:

Hi I am looking for the item part CYI-2556-000 ( Manual Focusing Brush contact set for my canon lens EF 300 f 2.8 L USM lens and wondered if you had any advice on where I could obtain this part?
Best regards
***** *****

Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

I can not find a Canon part with the number you provided. I believe the part you are looking for is the focus encoder brush, part # ***** Is that correct?

The unfortunate fact is, Canon no longer supplies parts for this lens and this particular part is not available from any source. I've broken a couple these brushes myself and have had to repair them by soldering new fingers onto them. Suprisingly enough, this works and can save a nice lens from the scrap heap.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rik
Yes that is the part and it is missing from the lens I might be able to recover it from the person who took it out. Otherwise I am stuck. Can you obtain from any other soure
I've checked with my sources for obsolete parts and there are none to be found. If you can get the original part, it is possible to rebuild it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for helping me I appreciate the assistance
Not a problem. If you lived Stateside, I could probably be of more help but at this point, your best bet would be to contact one of the more local shops and see if they can make one up for you. There is one company I know of in the UK that may be able to help you :
Rick and other Digital Cameras Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the assistance, I have spoken to Graham and he is going to see what he can do for me, really appreciate the assistance with this.
Best regards,
You're welcome.