Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business

I have a Canon Pro 1 printer bough from Ebay with the remains

Hi I have a Canon Pro 1 printer bough from Ebay with the remains of the original cartridges in. It worked perfectly until I needed to replace a couple of the cartridges. I went onto Ebay and bough three full sets of 3rd party cartridges for it and subsequently replaces all of them in one go. The printer now refuses to print and comes up with a 508 (i think) error. When I put the cartridges in the red lights on each cartridge did not light up as the instructions say they should. What is wrong?
Are the replacement cartridges genuine Canon ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no they are third party ones
Canon printers are designed to work only with genuine Canon products. There is a communication chip in the cartridge that has to be Canon. The Pro 1 is a nice printer. It's worth the extra cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought one of the selling points of the Pro 1 was that it could use third party cartridges?
I may be wrong, but as far as I know, Canon has always used proprietary replacement products. That includes photo paper and ink cartridges for their printers and batteries for their cameras. I'll look into it a little further. Is there a setting in the "Set-Up" menu to allow for third party cartridges?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi not that I am aware of - I will look when at home later and let you know - thanks for the input so far though
Very good.
Just a note to see if I can be of any further assistance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks - I have one genuine Canon Ink Cartridge which I will plug in tonight and see if its recognised r not - will let you know tomorrow
Very good