nathan_mills, Other
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.

I have a finepix XP 70 and it won't switch on, I have tried

I have a finepix XP 70 and it won't switch on, I have tried new battery- no response.
Can you help?

Hi Shelagh. Welcome to justanswer.

Try cleaning the contacts of the battery contacts in the camera and then put the batteries and check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done this already- no change

Then most probably the problem is in the power circuitry. The battery is not able to make contacts and due to which no power is being supplied to the camera to operate. There maybe a transistor at fault. The camera will need to be dissembled and the faulty components will require replacement. The repair will cost you not more than £20. If it is under warranty then you can take it to Fuji. Else any local repair center will easily repair it.

Do you have any other query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would this happen?

This can happen due to various reasons. Every component has certain age or there can be a defective component which after some time stops working. How old is your camera? And did you keep it unused for sometime?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's about 4 yrs old- used for holidays not every day.

Then maybe due to less use, the contacts inside the camera may have rusted. Or due to ageing the any of the component has gone bad. To confirm the fault, the camera dissembling is required so that the exact fault can be detected.

When you put in the battery and turn on the camera, do you see any led glowing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - dead as the proverbial...
So I guess I'll have to go to the shop- can't see them sorting it for £20 though.
Thanks anyway

Yes and the repair will cost you around £20 excluding the technician's services charges.

Please rate the chat positively by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel so that I can get credited for my services.
You will see a tab on your screen saying WRITE A REVIEW. A positive review/bonus is well appreciated. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's probably a good bit more than £20, not exactly the outcome I had hoped for I thought I would get a solution.

If the problem was something else I could have solved the issue but since in this specific problem the fault is inside the camera which requires dissembling the camera