Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Error message on Canon PIXMA iP2850 says 5B00. Is this

Error message on Canon PIXMA iP2850 says 5B00. Is this remediable?

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I have done as you suggest but still get the error message.

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.
then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.
Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.
Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes
Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please
This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have to be out for 20 minutes. I wondered whether problem related to ink absorber - had a warning previously.

No, this is not related to the absorber.

Let me know please how you go when you have had a chance to do this

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry - have to go out again. Perhaps I shouldn't have started this but am desperate to resolve. Can't get ink cartridges to come to the normal (accessible) resting position. Green start button and orange resume button flashing. Any further thoughts for when I return please?

Can you can move it to the middle by hand?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Won't budge!

It is the internal drive motor that has faulted, this now confirms it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help. Sadly it is out of warranty!!! I imagine having the drive motor replaced could be as or even more expensive than buying a new printer?
Yes, I will do the rating but I have to go out yet again so will do it on my return. Not the best of days to be sorting out a dead printer!!!

It would not be worth a repair, it would exceed the value of the printer sorry

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your help. Will do the rating in an hour or so.

ok, though it only takes a second to click the stars at the top then submit

But thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Richard. It was actually a printer which you helped with. I don't foresee any need to trouble you again - but you never know.