Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Have recently bought a Nikon D5600. Excellent camera, but

Have recently bought a Nikon D5600. Excellent camera, but usb will only work when connected to Windows 10. Previous D7200 worked when connected to Linux Mint ("Rafaella") and Widows 10 by usb. I would really like to be able to connected my Linux laptop to my D5600 to download iamges...

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is your camera shown, when connected, in the File Manager? if so you should have no trouble. Use it as a disk drive, go into it, select what you want to transfer to your computer, transfer it to your computer.

If that does not happen, esp. if Linux Mint prompts you to select an appropriate program to open your camera with, have you tried telling it / pointing it to, GTHUMB ? that's basic, but usually works.

(Or if not GTHUMB, then GWENVIEW, or DARKTABLE, also.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your response. Turns out that the Nikon D5600 does not use the old usb mass storage protocol, but now uses the usb PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol). This means that although lsusb reports "Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04b0:043f Nikon Corp.", this is not auto-mounted as the old usb mass storage used to be. So, "Use it as a disk drive, go into it, select what you want to transfer to your computer, transfer it to your computer" is not possible. In fact, lsblk does not see the camera at all, let alone as a block device which can be mounted. Gthumb cannot see the camera, but mercifully gtkam can and reports "USB PTP class camera" while allowing a crude transfer. So, the immediate problem is solved, but work needs to be done in Linux to have PTP devices auto-mounted.

How about GPhoto? that is suggested as to-be-used on Linux in a case of PTP device or camera?