Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Samsung PL221 x 10 zoom will not take picture when zoomed in

Customer Question

Samsung PL221 x 10 zoom will not take picture when zoomed in x3 picture is illegible and vastly over exposed
JA: Who makes your camera?
Customer: Samsung
JA: What have you tried so far with your camera?
Customer: nothing it's just when I zoom in x3 or more the picture is vastly over exposed
JA: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your camera question.

I'm sorry to hear that. Please consider, that zooming (when it is optical zoom and not digital zoom) does require the camera time to readjust, if it is in Auto Mode, and needs the camera readjusted, if it is in any more or less Manual mode.

Optically, a zoomed-in image is (usually) dimmer, unless you are zooming in on a brightly lit object in a darker surrounding field of view. It may also be coarser, if the camera is not tripod-mounted, blurred if the camera moves during the exposure.

So it will need both aperture, shutter speed, and possibly other settings readjusted - or given time to readjust.

If it genuinely does not respond when you give it time to readjust, in full Auto Mode, and with reasonable lighting conditions, then you may have a defective camera in need of service-repairing.

How old is your camera? if under a year, its failure - if it has failed - may be repaired under warranty by Samsung. (Let me know if that is so and if you need further instructions on pursuing this option, please.)

I also suggest that you might try a factory reset of the camera (which will reset White Balance and custom settings that you may have established in the camera, but will not erase pictures nor videos), in case an obscure settings combination is causing the problem. Would you like to try that? if so, please Reply briefly, and I will give you instructions on how to do the factory reset.

I hope that this answers your question! Thank you.