Cameron Roda
Cameron Roda, Tech Support
Experience:  Owner/Photographer at Cam Roda Creativita
106661857

I have a question about the auto focus face recognition

Customer Question

Hi...I have a question about the auto focus face recognition focussing on the Canon D200
JA: How long have you had your D200?
Customer: About 3 months
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ok...I am a professional photographer and I want to use the camera for my vlogs. All of my vlogs are outdoors mostly on the coast. I set the focus on a close up of my face, by pressing shutter half down until the green square is showing. If I then walk out of shot 50 yards away then come back into shot, I am always out of focus. Is there something I am doing wrong.
JA: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry, did you get my question?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Cameron Roda replied 7 days ago.

Hi there, my name is Cam & I’m a camera expert here with JustAnswer. I just came across your issue and want to help you try and find a solution!

Whenever you’re ready, just send me a message here in the chat and we can get started trying to solve your issue!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Cameron

Thanks for getting back to me! I am not available for a phone call at the moment, I am only able to help you here in the chat. Let's get started!

I am too familiar with the issue you're having here unfortunately, it's a problem for all of us trying to vlog.

What lens and camera body are you working with here?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Have I been charged for a phone call I haven’t received?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello, are you still there?

You likely accepted an auto-request that pops up here in the chat, I did not send this. I am not available for phone calls, only in the chat, which I let each customer know when they respond to me. If you've already been charged, you can get your refund & cancel if you prefer in the emails we sent you, or at www.JustAnswer.com/help

As for your issue here, I would first recommend trying to use a prime lens to go your vlogging. Second, you need to keep your auto focus setting on something more dynamic, because you aren't going to be able to always press the shutter halfway to focus during a vlog.

Do you have a Nikon or Canon camera here?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have a canon. What would be a more dynamic focus. I’ll be walking towards the camera

I am a Nikon user here, so let me just double check the exact terminology for your camera for you.

In the settings on your LCD screen, try switching the auto focus setting to AI Servo, this is for moving objects.

You can also try AI Focus AF, which is a combination of stationary and continuous auto focusing that recognizes when the subject is stationary and when the subject is moving.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I also have a Nikon....which would be the preferred focussing if I am walking towards the camera

Continuous/AF-C for the Nikon is the same as AI Servo on your Canon

AF-A for the Nikon is the same as AI Focus AF on your Canon

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you

I would try both settings on each camera to see what works best for you, but like I said a prime lens is better here.

Cheers!