Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Do you answer questions about a Canon printer? ip7250, 2

Customer Question

Do you answer questions about a Canon printer?
JA: What Canon model do you have?
Customer: ip7250
JA: How long has this been going on with your Canon printer?
Customer: 2 days. Cyan ink was not working. I did a head clean but no change and then did a deep clean on the heads and the a print check but this made matters worse as there were now 2 heads not working. I then removed the heads and soaked in warm water as per instructions but when I reassembled only the black ink worked. I have tried several cleaning operations since and replaced all the ink cartridges but still no colour working, only the black. Can you help please?
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The printer is about 2 years old and has worked perfectly up to about a week ago when I noticed some lines on the colour print.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Russell. I look forward to your advice. Michael

I regret hearing that the printer has had such a problem.

I think that there is a tendency to clog, obstinately, in the inking system.

Soaking the print heads was a good measure to try - provided that you never touched the metallic contacts on it while handling it, nor ever touched the inky underside where the ink 'nozzles' are. That would have ruined the print head, requiring it to be replaced. (Please let me know if you think that is what happened.)

If the clogging is elsewhere in the inking system, or owing to some other cause than the print head being removed owing to being touched wrongly, then this might help:

In outline:
1. Clean the (colored) print head. (Not by hand, but by the menu function in the Setup or Settings menu on your printer, possibly under a 'Maintenance' sub-menu.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the print head and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the print head a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the print head a third time.
Then test whether colo ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged print head.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the print head (which may cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** may have touched the metallic contacts but did not touch the ink nozzles except with a clean tissue and was careful not to rub them with the tissue. I will try your suggestions but is it a waste of time if I touched the melallic contacts?

It may be ruined, if you touched the metallic contacts, I'm sorry to say. It would account for why it got worse after that.

The print head will have to be replaced.

Would you like me to find a source for the right print head for your model, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that would be good but I think that I will try your method before I invest more money and it may be better to buy a new printer. However it would be good to know the price of a replacement head.
Many thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Russell,
Just an update, I had almost given up after trying everything to no avail.
This afternoon I checked my wife's printer, which is a Canon MG5750, and the head seemed exactly the same even though the ink cartridges are a different number. I took out the print head to compare the two and both looked exactly the same, so much so that I was unsure which belonged to my printer. However I inserted the other printhead in my printer and it prited in full colour. I then inserted my printhead in the other printer and was astonished when it printed in full colour also!
I cannot see or understand the logic or reason but I am happy that I don't have to buy a new printer or printhead.
Many thanks for your help and assistance even though the cure was different.
Michael

That is very interesting, and I appreciate your taking the time to tell me about it in so much detail.

It might be - deconstructively - that the simple taking out, waiting a bit (while you compared the two) and putting the print head in (in both printers) got the ('faulty') print head working.

But honestly, I am not sure how that happened either. Except, that it is good that it happened that way.

Thank you again, for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.