Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I cannot switch my camera on, No, I cannot switch the camera

Customer Question

I cannot switch my camera on
JA: Are there any flashing lights, symbols, or messages on your camera or display screen?
Customer: No
JA: Have you tried removing and replacing the battery and/or SD card?
Customer: I cannot switch the camera on
JA: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Digital Cameras
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No mobile phone
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have removed battery and SD card and then replaced them, I have also charged the battery, I have transferred all photos on to my computer and cleared them from the card
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have removed the battery and card and replaced them, I have also recharged the battery, transferred all photos to my computer and cleared the card
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
JA Are you there ?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your camera question.

I am sorry to hear that. It may be that the camera is simply defective or 'broken', and needs to be service-repaired. But, please let me know a bit about the camera's history:

- What is the maker and model of your camera?

- How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

- Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
- Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
- Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

My first suggestions for a 'dead'-seeming camera are these:

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

How old are the battery or batteries in the camera, please? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

Let me know, please, and I will advise and help you further. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The camera is a Canon IXUS 162 and must be 3/4 years old, it has not been dropped or abused and I would doubt if it has exceeded the temperatures. Maybe the best thing would be to purchase a new battery. Thank you for your help.

A-OK. Thank you for reading my answer and considering what I have said. If a new battery does not get it working, then perhaps the camera will need servicing by Canon UK.

Please let me know if you need further help or advice on any detail of this matter. Thank you.