Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 9 years.
13568747

My V Canon digital camera shows the message Error 99. what

My V
Canon digital camera shows the message Error 99. what does this mean?

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your camera question.

That is a general error, which may simply mean 'broken camera', I regret to have to say.

But: try removing the battery, then also removing the memory card or cards from the Canon camera.

Then, leave it that way for at least 1/2 hour or longer.

Put in just the battery, not the memory card you were using nor any other memory card - as a test. Turn it On at that point, with no memory card. Does it repeat the error? if it repeats the error, at least you have ruled out it being a defective memory card.

Please let me know a bit more also: how old the camera is, whether it has been well-taken-care-of and neither dropped nor gotten wet nor gotten damp, and has no been subjected to high temperatures (e.g. 90+ degrees F. for a prolonged period) nor cold (e.g. below about 40 degrees while operating, for a period longer than about 5 minutes at a time).

I will advise you further, as needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is with my friend who claims to know about cameras, so I can't get straight back to you. But thanks for a comprehensive answer.

You're welcome! Thank you for letting me know, and please have a good week.