Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Is the Nikon AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX VR II fully

is the Nikon AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX VR II fully compatible with the Nikon R6? Thank you. Simon
JA: How long have you had your 18-200MM?
Customer: I am thinking of buying one. I cannot afford the R6 with the Z 24-200
JA: What have you tried so far with your Nikon product?
Customer: I have not got it yet
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there list of the 90 F mount lenses that are fully compatible with the R6?

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your camera and lens question.

I regret to have to say there is no such thing as a 'Nikon R6' camera - that is either a misprint of 'Z 6' perhaps, or a reference to the Z6 battery which may be used in several quite different Nikon models.

Nikon cameras in general have the Nikon F-mount.

The lens you are asking about is an AF-S lens, so it will be workable basically on pretty much most Nikon cameras. But it is designed specifically, being an AF-S lens, for certain cameras only, for full compatibility.

This chart by Nikon, shows and lists on the left, a lot of the cameras that have full compatibility with an AF-S lens by Nikon or by Nikkor (same thing really):

https://www.nikonusa.com/Images/Learn-Explore/Photography-Techniques/2011/Which-Nikkor-is-Right-for-You/Media/NIKKOR-lens-compatibility-chart.pdf

Please let me know more - the model of your camera - for further help and advice. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you are right I miss typed an R for a Z. I am enquiring about the Nikon Z6 with the lens.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The Z6 is not list in the table. No point in calling as it is a very simple question yes or no answer.
Simon

OK. The Z6 model - thank you for letting me know.

(I did not ask for a phone call, thank you: the website did.)

I am looking that model up - it might just be that the table is not up-to-date enough to include such a modern model.... Thanks.

It is a Full-Frame camera. AP-S lenses will either not work on a full-frame camera, or will suffer from crop factor (some of the image sensor not being used, basically.)

Thank you for your patience. Please let me know if you need other information on this matter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought APS lenses were full frame? Are they not?

APS-C lenses are not full-frame. This page explains the details some:

https://camerajabber.com/when-to-use-aps-c-lenses-instead-of-full-frame/#:~:text=When%20to%20use%20APS%2DC%20lenses%20instead%20of%20full%2Dframe,-Tutorial&text=This%20image%20circle%20collaborates%20with,is%20a%20little%20bit%20smaller.

And to repeat: if you use an APS-C lens with a full-frame camera, you will be losing some of the capability of the camera. But! the APS-C lens will work with it, aside from reduced use of the sensor.