Cameron
Cameron, Camera Technician
Experience:  Tech Business Owner/Photographer
106661857

I have a Pentax Spotmatic and am unable to open the small

I have a Pentax Spotmatic and am unable to open the small battery housing on the base of the camera.
JA: Who makes your camera?
Customer: Asahi optical company of Japan
JA: What have you tried so far with your camera?
Customer: using a coin in the slot meant for the purpose of accessing the button cell battery
JA: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi there, my name is Cameron & I’m a tech expert here with JustAnswer, an independent, paid support website. I know these kinds of things can be really frustrating and I’m sorry you have to deal with this, but I just came across your issue and want to help you as best as I possibly can to try and find a solution! Making sure we can find the best solution or steps forward for you here are my top priorities and I’m reviewing the information you’ve given me now!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I ask that if you would like to provide a rating after this interaction, that this rating you give reflects my customer service only. If something outside of my service makes you unhappy, please don’t give a poor rating to me, as it reflects my service. Instead, please let me know what you’re unhappy with & I will make sure to provide the suggestion to those above me. Thanks so much for this in advance!

As I said above, I’m very sorry to hear about your issue. Unfortunately this issue is due to the design of this camera, because this camera requries a special key to open and unlock the base so that you can replace the battery.

If you click this 1st link below, you can see a visual image of what I'm referring to. The second link is a link to the manual for you! I'm not sure how you're going to be able to find one of these keys to unlock this, considering the age of the camera. But the best bet is to go to a local camera shop and ask them, they always know how to find things locally.

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_spotmatic/body21.jpg

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_spotmatic/pentax_spotmatic.htm