Cameron
Cameron, Camera Technician
Experience:  Tech Business Owner/Photographer
106661857

I had been using a Canon 430 EX as a but it’s been stolen.

I had been using a Canon 430 EX as a slave but it’s been stolen. Is it possible to trigger a Canon 580 EX if I use it as a slave and have a Canon compatible Sunpak 4000AF in the hotshot on a Canon 6d or 5d. Basically I'm asking, will Canon Speedlights only respond to other Canon Speedlights?
JA: How long have you had your 4000AF?
Customer: Perhaps ten years
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just that flash..with the 580EX
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that thanks
Hello there! I hope you’re doing well so far today! My name is Cameron & I am a tech expert here with JustAnswer, an independent, paid support website. As an expert, I have 10+ years of experience helping people learn, use, and fix all of their electronics, and I’ve helped over 5,000 different customers throughout this time!I know these kinds of issue with technology can be really frustrating, especially when it seems there is no solution. I am sorry you have to deal with this, but I’m here to help! I just want to help you as best as I possibly can to try and find a solution, and if we can’t find a solution, I can at least provide you with the best steps to take next!•To answer your question simply, yes this premise is correct. Especially with older Canon’s it’s even more true, the Speedlights only respond to other Speedlights.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.