Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a Mac 11.5.2 Big Sur. My Cannon Life 220 scanner has

Customer Question

Hello I have a Mac 11.5.2 Big Sur. My Cannon Life 220 scanner has stopped working and although I have downloaded software I receive error message 15,230,0
JA: Is your printer displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?
Customer: it is a scanner...but yes
JA: When did you last update the printer driver software?
Customer: when it stopped working
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your scanner. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Can you please remove the power to the device (so unplug it from the power socket)

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the device and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It has been powered off for days. It taks power via the USB lead
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Connect it to a different USB port on the mac then try to scan please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It has been attached to every port on the computer
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
A scanner driver supporting this software is not installed. Install it and try again.Code:15,230,0
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is what I receive
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Can you please download and run the installation from my link

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/lide_series/canoscan_lide_220.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=macos%2011%20(big%20sur)

Once done, restart the mac then try to scan please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Your link does not work
Regardless I have gone back to the Cannon site-searched Line 220. Downloaded the software package and no change
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Ok, I checked the link and it is working correctly, please elaborate on how it does not work for you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The text initially included link when it came up...so I have removed that.You have sent men back to the site that I have being using before I got in touch with you. I have downloaded the software package several times already.
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

once downloaded, please run the file to install it then restart the mac and try to scan please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have downloaded and restarted and done all the things that you have asked me several times before I got in touch with you. I have done all again. No change. I have loaded on the test user side of my mac. No change. The issue occured when I changed from Catalina to Big Sur. I am assuming this is where the problem is and that is really where I was hoping your expertise would come in as I have tried all your 'first stage' remedies.
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Then try to scan please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I get no startup sound. I have held the keys down on startup but it makes no differece to the start up procedure and no change
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

See if ti still allows you to scan please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Same error message. Does not initiate at all. Immediately comes up with error message
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

go to the applications, choose image capture and try to scan within this

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Where is image capture...in cannon?
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

No in the applications, where your apps are, you open Finder then click applications please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I do not have image capture
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

It is there, it is included on every Mac

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry located. Shows no devices
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ran 1st aid on all parts of the HD. Startup sound has returned. No change to scanner and it is not registering on image capture
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Click on the apple logo top left then system preferences.

Then click on printers, click your scanner then the - at the bottom to remove it.

Restart the Mac, go back to printers, click the +.

Then click the scanner when it shows and allow it to install.

Then try to use it

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It does not register there! No sign of it. It is worth mentioning that In have 2 identical scanners....dif offices. Neither works so cannot be the scanner
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

If you press the + what does it show there?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have my regular printer but nothing else
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

You will need to do a reinstall of the Mac, first backup all your data from to a USB drive it as it will remove all your data, programs you will also need to reinstall.

Once done

Power off the mac

Choose to erase hard drive then choose to reinstall OS

Once installed, try to install the scanner and use it

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok...well that is quite a big job. I will sign off for now as this needs a little preparation. Thanks for getting past phase 1 of the issues and for your help so far. Sorry this is not a quick fix!
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

You are welcome