Andrew Balfour
Andrew Balfour, Electronics Technician
Experience:  Over 30 Years Experience!
110699312

I have an elderly Canon 5D III and a much newer 5D IV ...

Customer Question

I have an elderly Canon 5D III and a much newer 5D IV ... which, during the pandemic, stopped downloading pics. I've changed cables, tried to download to different computers and other stuff, to no avail. The images are visible on the camera but when I download I just get told 'no images' The old 5D III is reliable but even when I swap the media to that camera it won't download images taken on the IV. Bit stumped.
JA: Who makes your camera?
Customer: Canon
JA: What have you tried so far with your Canon?
Customer: See above message
JA: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Andrew Balfour replied 10 days ago.

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer.co.uk

I would like to start by introducing myself, I am Andrew, one of the many experts on JustAnswer.co.uk with over 30 years of experience! I know it can be frustrating when electronics go wrong but from my experience, misconfiguration is usually the most common reason and with the right advice and guidance you can be sure to have them addressed. Please allow me a few moments to investigate the information you have logged with us today so that I can provide you with the information you need to have this matter addressed

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK thanks. Should have added I have reformatted media, no change. I have also used the same media on the III and no problem. Even used brand new media on the IV, no change (formatted it first on the IV, then on the III; made no difference).

I have investigated the information you have provided and it sounds like you have a query relating to downloading the images from your Digital Camera onto your computer. I would suggest this could be a problem with the memory card that has the images stored, however, I would like to ensure you are following the process correctly when trying to download the images onto your computer and for that reason, I have detailed it below in an instructive format which I would like you to attempt first so that we know you are doing it correctly.

1. Connect the camera to the computer with the USB cable supplied with the camera. 
  2. Set the camera's power switch to <ON>.
  3. EOS Utility starts automatically. 
  4. When the following window appears, start the operation for downloading images. 
  5. The images are downloaded to the computer.

I hope the information provided today helps and if you have any questions or require any further assistance, please let me know and I will do my best to answer those!

Andrew

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am familiar with all this. It worked fine until a few months ago. It works fine on the III, which is an identical camera in many respects.
Have you tried to format the memory card?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
as I said above. I have reformatted; changed the card to the III and reformatted on that, in case it wasn't formatting properly or something; bought new media (though I have many cards any way and changing the cards makes no difference).

Interesting, have you factory reset the camera?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No. I have considered but a colleague said don't do that, scary stuff happens(!) Open to trying that because so far nothing else has worked, just hesitated after my colleague's comments.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
As far as I can see it only removes your custom settings, which is fine, but he had other issues and it ended up going back to Canon I think. If it shouldn't do anything but that I'll try it.

I would suggest a Factory reset, nothing scary to be worried about.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK, will do, Many thanks.

All the best.