Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is 16 years old and has an angleberry wart with a large

My dog is 16 years old and has an angleberry wart with a large fatty mass and it is restricting her walking. She does have other fatty masses but this is from a condition of a disease of the immune sytem where she has lived on 25mg predinislone one tablet every day. Is there a possibility of dealing with this, or will we have to consider putting her to sleep.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Fugi. Angleberrries are viral fibropapillomas of cattle and don't appear on dogs. Can you upload a close-up photo of this "wart" to this conversation for me? The best way to do so is to upload the photo to your computer and then use an external application such as imgur.com or tinypic.com to upload it from your computer to our conversation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, I am not able to do this on my Computer. But the discription is that of an angleberry with a large mass around it. She has large fat lumps from her condition of the immune system disease where she has had to take prednislone throughout her life. She is bright eyed and eating but unable to walk properly with the front mass around left front leg chest point. Also she is weak on her legs in general as she has Arthritis in the right back leg knee. We were wondering if anything could be done on this or are we looking at putting her to sleep. She is 16 years old. She does have several other little warts. My vet did not want to touch them.

It is a very difficult decision for us to make. We are seeing our vet on Friday morning. We just thought you may be able to give us a little bit of advice. Thank you. Anita.

Thank you, Anita. I understand. The appearance of that "angleberry/mass", then, indicates a more serious tumor than the usual fatty masses (lipomas) we see so commonly - particularly in our geriatric pets. It's moot to determine just what the mass actually is because we're more concerned that its shear size is preventing Fugi from walking comfortably and she's unable to compensate with her other legs which are weakened by arthritis and age.

There is nothing to be done conservatively at this time that would alter the size of this mass. Surgical resection would be the only possible remedy but such an invasive surgery isn't a reasonable option in a 16 year old. I understand how difficult this is for you. You've been kind to Fugi for 16 years. It might well be time for the final kindness to be performed.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your kind advice. I really appreciate this as this will help us along the way. We have had the best years with Fugi that we could ever have had. I agree that to operate on a16 year old dog is not the best as this may kill her anyway especially if the lump was more complicated. We will follow the best route from Friday's visit. Kind Regards Anita.

You're quite welcome, Anita. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.