Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my dog has been sick since yesterday, he can not keep water

my dog has been sick since yesterday, he can not keep water down, his last lot of sick was brown and smelly, what shall i do?

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Chops is not feeling well!

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Could Chops have gotten into anything odd yesterday?

Does the vomit smell like feces?

Will he eat anything?

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I dont no if he has got into anything, the vomit does smell like feces, i havent given him any food.

Thank you Michelle for that information...

It could be that Chops has a mild digestive disturbance caused by a dietary indiscretion. If this is the cause, follow these instructions, Michelle:

Fast Chops for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Chops Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy. This will calm down his tract.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Chops back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Chops to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns. The main concern for Chops is that when the vomit smells like feces this could be an intestinal obstruction that will require treatment by your vet in an emergency situation.

Does that make sense to you, Michelle?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Michelle for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Chops condition. If you have other questions, please Reply. There is no other charge....

Have a great day!!