Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

For the last couple of days my dog has had a very rumbly tummy.

For the last couple of days my dog has had a very rumbly tummy. She seems fine but is not keen to eat much.
Yesterday there was a little blood on the outside of her poo. She usually does 3 poo's a day, one normal and fairly firm, the second the same as the first but about half the size and the third one is a very small amount and quite loose. Yesterday the first 2 were the same as normal and then she did 3 very small amounts and that was when I saw the blood. I was going to take her to the vets yesterday but when we got back from her walk she was very lively and wanted her food. There was no more poo's and no sign of any blood around her bottom.
This morning she is very lively but her tummy is making a lot of noise again and she ate a few of her biscuits and no wet food. She is catching a lot of flies at the moment and we back onto a field that has just been harvested and had cow manure spread on it. Do you think she needs to see our vet or shall I wait one more day to see if things settle down?

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Bella. I'm so sorry she's having trouble but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need to help her.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

You've given a very good description of the symptoms you are seeing with Bella. That's very helpful, thank you.

Dr. Jo :

It's especially significant that you mention she is feeling quite lively.

Dr. Jo :

And I'm also relieved that there no longer seems to be any sign of blood around her bottom.

Dr. Jo :

I will cautiously advise that there is never any harm done by taking her to the vet to find out she's recovering nicely on her own. That falls under the heading of "Better Safe Than Sorry". So ... certainly if she seems to be getting worse or your instincts tell you something isn't right, do please go ahead and make plans to bring her in. I would be helping NO ONE if I ever talked someone out of going to the vet when they wanted to.

Dr. Jo :

That being said, if you were my client and Bella were my patient, I would not think you were being unreasonable or taking unnecessary risks by deciding to give this another day before you even called me. I say that based on these facts:

Dr. Jo :

1. Her symptoms are improving already, without additional treatment.

Dr. Jo :

2. She is not showing serious signs life lethargy, depression, inactivity, weakness, collapse, lots of bleeding...

Dr. Jo :

3. She is eating a little bit. Dogs can go for days and days without eating (weeks, even) and suffer no ill effect. Her decreased appetite is her body's own way of giving her digestive tract a break and allowing it to heal.

Dr. Jo :

*Please excuse me. I meant to say, "... serious signs like lethargy..." above

Dr. Jo :

I'd also like to offer some reassurance by explaining that the presence of some blood around the feces or rectum does not always indicate an emergency. It can come and go without treatment or serious illness.

Dr. Jo :

In summary, I would not expect your vet to be shocked and say, "WHAT?! You mean Bella was acting like this and you thought it would okay to try to wait it out?"

Dr. Jo :

Not likely to happen.

Dr. Jo :

Does that make sense the way I've explained it?

Customer:

I am pleased with what you have said. I am not one of these people who run to the vets if my dog sneezes but I do love her to pieces and I would hate to let her suffer. Because she is still lively I am not as worried as I would have been if she was lethargic.Should I encourage her to eat or just leave her biscuits and fresh water down. We do have 2 cats and normally she eats wet cat food as well as her dog biscuits. She likes fresh meat and I will be cooking beef tonight and I will be astonished if she does not want some. She is a rather unusual dog being a Basset x Dachshund so I make sure she does not overeat and become fat.

Dr. Jo :

Good question...

Dr. Jo :

You should absolutely NOT encourage her to eat. Please just do leave her usual food available. Her appetite will return when her body is ready to handle eating again. Encouraging her to eat sooner than that just because she wants to please you could actually make her sick for longer.

Dr. Jo :

When a dog has an upset stomach, it is best to allow a return to the normal diet gradually. Small amounts are tolerated much better than large amounts.

Dr. Jo :

It's also best to start with bland things before adding richer things.

Dr. Jo :

A 50/50 mixture of boiled chicken and rice is a commonly used home-made diet for dogs returning to oral intake after an upset stomach.

Dr. Jo :

As you resume food with Bella, simply take it easy and go slow so you can back off if it appears that eating is making her feel sick again.

Customer:

Thanks for you advice. I feel happier that I am doing the right things. I will cook her some chicken and rice tonight and she how she goes. I know the cats will eat the chicken if she does not want it! I would love to find a way to stop her eating the flies but we are inundated at the moment and I am worried if I use a fly spray she may eat the dead ones and that will cause even more problems. I am going to take her out for a walk in a while and see how she goes. Hopefully I will not have to come back to you, once again thanks.

Dr. Jo :

This sounds like a perfect plan.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you so much for using our website, and good luck with Bella. I hope she has a speedy recovery. She is a lucky dog to have you taking care of her.

Dr. Jo :

Is there anything else I can do to help you at this time?

Customer:

Not at the moment, but thanks. I think I am the lucky one, Bella was a rescue (she was supposed to be a Labrador) but when I saw her with those big Basset eyes she came home with me. I really think she is the best thing that ever happened to me and she is certainly my best friend. Thanks