Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

I have a Pyrenean sheepdog which has lost hair from the tip

I have a Pyrenean sheepdog which has lost hair from the tip of her tail for 1-2 inches. What could be causing this? I do have cream for pyoderma (Fuciderm) but the area is dry rather than wet. Should I try this ointment? Someone has suggested cortizone too...

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

Thanks for asking about Allie.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

If the skin where she has lost hair is infected, the Fuciderm may help. If the skin is inflamed (red, itchy, swollen), the cortisone cream may help.

Rebecca :

If the skin is normal: dry, not red, smooth, just hairless, then probably neither one will help.

Rebecca :

Hypothyroidism can make a dog lose hair, starting on the tail. Other hormonal conditions like Cushing's disease ( over active adrenal glands) will also cause hair loss and the tail can be the first place you notice it.

Rebecca :

There is a supplement called melatonin that can sometime help to get the hair follicles working again. It is available over the counter.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

I will try to connect another way if I do not hear from you first.

I hope you can see what I am saying now.

You could try your ointments, they will not do any harm, but it would be rare for a skin infection or inflammation to be only on the tail. I suspect this is related to hair growth or hormone cycles.

I would try the melatonin, 3 to 6 mg per day. It is also safe, and might help. If it is not helping, then the first thing I would test for is hypothyroidism, a blood test.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the advice Rebecca. The skin is dry and not red so I'll try the melatonin. I'll also look upo hypothyroidism!

Best wishes,

Thank you for the great rating! Hope she is growing hair again soon!