How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Loretta Your Own Question
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 28380
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Loretta is online now

Hi, I just caught my dog sniffing at some rat poison in the

Customer Question

I just caught my dog sniffing at some rat poison in the house - blue coated rye seed -
He may have potentially eaten some grains- definitely only that / not a lot if any -
He is a 5 yr old XXXXX XXXXX - is this an emergency or shall I just keep my eye on him to see for any symptoms,
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning Brad and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since this has just happened, it is best , just in case, to induce vomiting by following these instructions:

Give 1 teaspoons of peroxide per 5 pounds of weight and wait 15 minutes. If no vomiting, then try it again. You can do this 3 times safely.

You have a 2 hr window, Brad, to get this done to remove any of this poison that he may have ingested. Because of the seriousness of this situation , it is best to do this and then give Jack Vitamin K at 25 mg per day for 3 weeks...better safe than sorry.

I am sure , after this, that Jack will be safe and healthy, Brad.


Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta