How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 10920
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

My 16 1/2 year old XXXXX XXXXX has got an absis under her

This answer was rated:

My 16 1/2 year old XXXXX XXXXX has got an absis under her tooth, her face is swollen and she has a temp, we have been to the vets who have said that an opperation is best, XXXXX XXXXX been put on antibiotics and we are waitin for the blood test results befor the opp to check her kidneys for the anesthetic, but he said the risk is very high because of her a age and I want to know what is her chance of surviving the opp at her age?
We can jus treat it with antibiotics but no guarantee

Hi Kelly, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Bingo hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

This is often a somewhat difficult question to answer since there are obviously many variables to consider with age just being one of them.

In situation such as this, I assess the general, overall health of the patient, the results of the blood tests results (obviously), the length of time the procedure may take and previous response to anesthesia.
Age itself is not a disease and I don't necessarily consider anesthesia a greater risk for older dogs since the drugs used these days are far superior to those available years ago but greater care needs to be taken with them. In addition, monitoring has gotten much more sophisticated as well which greatly reduces the risk of complications since problems can be detected sooner.
At the minimum, Bingo's oxygen levels should be monitored with a pulse oximeter machine and she should be connected to an EKG machine.

If I had to provide a percentage, I'd say that there is a 80-90% likelihood that she'll do just fine.

There is another option, however, if your vet would consider it and if Bingo responds to antibiotics. It's not a cure, however, but just a "control" of the infection. For those dogs who are a very high anesthetic risk because of their lab values or because of a pre-existing health condition, I'll sometimes prescribe low dose antibiotics (usually Amoxicillin) for these patients for the rest of their lives. I don't worry about drug resistance since realistically speaking, they won't be taking antibiotics for 3-4 more years. I do understand that this is not something every vet would feel comfortable doing, however.

I hope this helps. Again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your advice I will take this into account once the blood test results are back, if I was to choose the route of jus antibiotics and no opp would it still be painful or uncomfortable for her? I just want to choose the best option for her
Many thanks
I'm sorry that I've been off my computer until just now and seen your additional question about Bingo.

For those pets (cats or dogs) whom I've treated with antibiotics and who respond to them, they don't appear to be at all uncomfortable. In fact, owners tell me that they have an increased appetite and appear to have a bit more energy as well.
Of course, much depends on how extensive the infection might be as to whether or not a patient will respond to medication alone.

Dr. Deb and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I also wanted to wish you the best with Bingo, regardless of what you decide to do.
Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.