Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Hi. My 10yr old Golden Retriever ate one of my omeprazole

My 10yr old Golden Retriever ate one of my omeprazole tablets 20mg. will she be ok?

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Could you please tell me roughly how much Lucy weighs { In pounds } ?

I'm not sure but I think between 50-56ibs

Scott Nimmo :

Omeprazole is in fact sometimes prescribed for dogs at a dose rate of 0.5 mg per pound of their bodyweight once a day so it is not poisonous to them per se. On this basis the top dose for your dog would be 25 mg based on a weight of 50 pounds. This is good news since the amount she has swallowed is therefor within reasonable therapeutic dose range so she should be just fine.

Scott Nimmo :

There is no need for you to do anything in this sort of situation ...

Thank you very much.