How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17088
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Rebecca is online now

our puppy has just eaten some sort of mushroom in the garden,

This answer was rated:

our puppy has just eaten some sort of mushroom in the garden, I don't know how much he's had

Rebecca :


Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Wilf.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

If he only ate part of it, he will probably be OK. However, there are some really poisonous mushrooms, as you probably know.

Rebecca :

I am not an expert at mushroom identification, and even experts sometimes get it wrong.

Rebecca :

You could try to get him to vomit if you are worried.

The website tells me you went offline, so I will try this way to connect with you.

If this were my own dog, and only part of a mushroom was eaten, I would probably just observe him, unless there was someone I could take a similar mushroom to for identification.

If you would like to be cautious and get him to vomit, one to two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream should get him to empty his stomach in 5 to 10 minutes.

If you have a local poison control in your area, they may be able to help with mushroom identification since they might know your local common mushrooms.

Please let me know if this is helpful, and what else I can answer.

Rebecca and 4 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the great rating.

How is Wilf today?