Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 5mth old border collie has been very sick this morning -

My 5mth old border collie has been very sick this morning - she seemed fine when she woke up but after food and walk she has been sick about ten times - she is drinking water and now just bringing up bile and wretching every twenty minutes.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an update how Molly is doing?
2- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has slept for a couple of hours and does seem brighter, no retching as yet. Not sure how much she weighs prob about 4-5 kilos. One of my concerns is that ten days ago she swallowed a liqui tab washing sachet - i gave her milk and she vomited and had liquid stools for a few hours but then next day she appeared fine. They are not on the poison list. But concerned they may have damaged her. Should i feed her? Thanks

How many hours has it been since the last time she vomited?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since she last vomited it's about three hours now and she has eaten a few dried Bakers biscuits which she appears to have kept down in the last half hour.. I was probably well out with her weight - more like 8-10 kilos - not fat at all but quite l0ng legs,

Margaret, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter