How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Loretta Your Own Question
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 28341
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Loretta is online now

Hi my 3 month old mini schnauzer in pain

Customer Question

Hi my 3 month old mini schnauzer dog presented with excessive water intake, limited bladder control and was diagnosed with a UTI. Given antibiotics, and after 2 days was no better and had pain in the admomin. We took him back and the vet suggested a blood and urine test. Urine showed blood and protein. Blood test was going to tricky so he took him off out the back, and did the test. When the vet came back he said he noticed his neck was stiff and suggested we give hima steroid as a precaution as it could be a virus in the spine. The bloods where clear. Since we got the dog home he was been yelping in pain, head is down, off his normal food. We took him back yesterday and the vet gave him and anti inflammatory, and he had no temperature. Vat then suggested it could be a slipped disc - but can only do an MRI after the weekend. The pain has eased but he is still yelping, when he puts his fore feet down, and off his food, and water. Should I just leave him until tomorrow for MRI or should I seek additional help today
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Harlow,...he is so young to be having these issues which leads me to believe that he may have genetic problems causing a suppressed immune system and other problems. It does appear that he may have an unstable disc in his neck which is very uncommon in such a young dog such as Harlow.

Since Harlow does have the anti ninflammatory aboard, there is nothing wrong with waiting until the MRI tomorrow....just do not let him jump on or off anything and carry him up and down stairs to help stabilize this disc.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta