How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 14144
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now

Hi our 11 month old portuguse water dog has eaten 25 grammes

This answer was rated:

Hi our 11 month old portuguse water dog has eaten 25 grammes of cooked dried garlic he weighs 30 kg. Is this sufficient to cause toxicity please? He ate it 3 hours ago is it too late to try and make him vomit?

Or what should we do immediatly to help?

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Good question, Michelle. Garlic does have toxic potential to pets, and is generally more potent than onion, also a member of the Allium species, in causing changes in red blood cells in dogs and cats. This is true in raw, cooked or powdered forms. In theory, "deodorized" garlic is allegedly less toxic, since the disulfides, responsible for both the odor and the toxicity, are usually largely removed.

Even at low levels of exposure to garlic, some change in red blood cells is likely; it is typically only when a significant number of red blood cells are altered that their oxygen-carrying capacity is noticeably compromised and clinical signs develop. Generally, it takes either a fairly large single ingestion or chronic exposure. These effects are also somewhat more likely to be seen in cats, as their red blood cells have shorter life spans and they're more likely to have bone marrow issues. However, the possibility exists that some dogs may also be genetically more susceptible to problems from garlic ingestions.

The lowest observed effect level in dogs in the scientific literature that we are aware of is 2.5 mg/kg of encapsulated garlic powder; slow heart rates and increased urination were seen. For comparison, Pedro being 30 kg consuming 25 g (2500 mg) of garlic powder or cooked dried garlic is exposed to a dose of 83 mg/kg.

Unfortunately we do not definitively know at what dose any given dog may experience problems. An occasional low dose, such as those found in most commercial pet foods or treats, would not likely cause problems. A conservative approach might be to avoid exposure to more concentrated garlic-based products.

Dr. Altman :

At three hours very likely he has already digested the garlic past his stomach and into his small intestine

Dr. Altman :

If you have the option of an emergency clinic that would be advised so they can give a product called activated charcoal to reduce the absorption of the garlic from his bloodstream

Dr. Altman :

Garlic extract was administered intragastrically (1.25 ml/kg of b.wt. (5 g of whole garlic/kg) once a day for 7 days). Compared with initial values, erythrocyte count, haematocrit and hemoglobin concentration decreased to a minimum value on days 9 to 11. Heinz body formation, an increase in erythrocyte-reduced glutathione concentration, and eccentrocytes were also detected, however, no dog developed hemolytic anemia. So it appears that this is more of a chronic situation and acute toxicity is less likely for Pedro but I would prefer not risking this and getting to a veterinary er for activated charcoal

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats to ensure you are able to view my responses

Dr. Altman :

It’s important to note that it may take up to two to four days after your pet eats garlic for symptoms to appear.

Symptoms of garlic toxicity include breathlessness, lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting, pale gums, an elevated heart rate, an increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse.

Your pet also could lose interest in food as a result of this type of poisoning.

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Hopefully this format is more readily viewable to you. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today
Dr. Altman and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you