Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice
16703648

can you please tell me if I can tell if my is ready for

can you please tell me if I can tell if my bitch is ready for mating by taking her temperature?

Dr. Christie :

This is Dr. Christie! I am a licensed veterinarian and would like to try to assist you!

Dr. Christie :

Unfortunately you cannot time breeding with taking the temperature.

Dr. Christie :

There are a few different ways to successfully breed. These include 1) breeding on days 7, 9, and 11 (day 1 being the first day she bled), 2) having a vaginal smear checked by your veterinarian on these days (they look at the cells to determinewhen ovulation will be occurring) and 3) having her progesterone checked around day 6-7-8. The progesterone will surge right before ovulation

Dr. Christie :

Make sure she has been tested for Brucellosis (this can cause infertility) and had her thyroid checked (a low thyroid can interfere with fertility)