How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 32475
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

dog has eaten some cooked mushrooms.Is dog safe?

Customer Question

dog has eaten some cooked mushrooms.Is dog safe?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- I will assume the mushrooms were cooked for yourself, correct?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You bought the mushrooms in a store, correct; not picked wild?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hugh, mushrooms can be toxic to dogs depending on the type or species of mushrooms. The toxicity usually occurs when wild mushrooms are consumed. If the mushrooms were bought in a store for your consumption then those mushrooms will be ok for your dog. Besides mild gastrointestinal problems like vomiting or diarrhea from the dietary indiscretion nothing else is expected; your dog will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter