How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 32457
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

my daughters French dog has an inner ear infection which

This answer was rated:

my daughters French bull dog has an inner ear infection which he has had for 6 weeks and causes spasms which threw him to the floor then he rolls until we get hold of him his head is always tilted, to the side he has antibiotic's and steroids her vet said it could take weeks and if it does not clear then it would need an M.R.I to find the trouble and then an operation all costing around £4000.00 does this sound right ?
She is single and lives on her one thus she does not have that kind of money, but earns to much to go to the RSPCA.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you know the name of the medications he is on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Baytree are the antibiotics 2 a day

Predesilone steroids 2 a day

1- Is the baytril topical or oral? If oral, has he been treated with topical medications?
2- Has he been treated with any other antibiotic?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

baytril is oral

He has had other antibiotics but I don't no the name of then he was on them for about 3 weeks 2 courses of them

Frances, in cases of inner ear infections when there is no response to therapy even after trying several antibiotics we do proceed with an MRI to rule out things like tumors or even surgery. In this case however, I would recommend you discuss with your vet about doing a culture & sensitivity (C&S) of the ear. This test will isolate the underlying bacteria (s) and give a report of the antibiotics that the bacteria (s) is susceptible. It is very possible the underlying bacteria (s) causing the infection is resistant to the baytril. Pending the C&S results start him on a different antibiotic topically and oral. The cost of the C&S is +/-100 dollars. Antibiotic choice should be made on C&S results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter and 5 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you