Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

, my lab/staffy has suddenly lost the use of his rear right

Hi, my lab/staffy has suddenly lost the use of his rear right leg. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and is able to get around using his front legs & dragging his rear legs. He's managed to get up the stairs in our home and is currently lying on my bedroom floor. Could you please advise me on this?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he dragging both back legs or just the right?
3- How old is your dog?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about an hour, it seems to be just the right leg. he's 5 yrs old & has no existing medical conditions or symptoms.

1- Is he dragging the right leg or holding it up and not bearing weight?
2- Do you know how he got hurt or what was he doing when this started?
3- To make sure I got this right, he is walking on 3 legs, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he's dragging the leg whilst using the other 3. he came in from the garden and lay down as normal, it was when he got up again that i noticed him having difficulty

Friend, when we see dragging of a hind limb it can be caused by different conditions; given the quick onset in this case we need to rule out: A pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc that is interfering with the motor function of the limb, hip disorders or a fracture.
Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. The main concern is a pinched nerve, the longer it goes untreated the least likely he will regain function of the limb. For this reason I would strongly recommend having him checked tonight by ER veterinarian, do not wait.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your time & advice.

You're welcome.