How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17076
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Rebecca is online now

My dog has a growth on his shoulder which he scratched on Thursday

This answer was rated:

My dog has a growth on his shoulder which he scratched on Thursday and it started to bleed. I took him to the vet and he is booked in for surgery this week but it has started to bleed from a different place. He also has a dry rasping cough which has considerably worsened in the last 24 hours. He is not eating, although he has been drinking. Did not want to go out for his usual walk this morning. He is 14 years old english springer spaniel.
His medication is Metacam, Vitofyllin and he has just completed a 10 day course of Noroclav.
The vet gave me Bisolvon for his cough but as he has worsened I am concerned about giving him another dose.
I really don't know what to do. My vets have an emergency number but it is at least an hour away. Can you give me any advice please. Elaine
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Muffin. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
I am worried about this cough. If he were my own dog, I would be taking a chest Xray as soon as possible, certainly before doing anesthesia and surgery.
Bisolvon (bromhexine) is not a cough suppressant. It helps to thin mucus, can help with coughing due to mucus. If it is not helping Muffin, you could try an over the counter cough suppressant like dextromethorphan. One brand name is***** Do not get a cough suppressant containing pseudoephedrine. I would give 1/8th to 1/4th the dose on the label for people.
There are better cough medications that are prescription, such as butorphanol or hydrocodone, but you will need to get things like that from your veterinarian.
You might call that emergency number, and see if they can at least give you some advice over the phone. Best to get advice from the veterinarians that know and have examined Muffin.
I might stop the Metacam if he is not eating. Good that he is drinking. I would encourage him to take liquids and you could offer broth as well as water to keep him hydrated.
For the bleeding, you could apply direct pressure, or ice. Hydrogen peroxide can also help slow bleeding if you clean the area with it, but it does sting.
The best way to stop the bleeding is to remove the tumor, but I would not do that until a chest Xray shows that his chest is clear and it is safe to do anesthesia. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response. The bleeding seems to have stopped for the moment, but the coughing also seems to be making him shake his head. I can speak to the emergency vets but it is a different surgery and he has not been seen by them.

I can get some Robitussen hopefully this afternoon and try to get him to take it. He is notoriously difficult with medicine.

If I can manage him today I will be able to get him to his own vets in the morning and I will certainly ask about a chest xray before surgery.

You are welcome. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Let me know how he is doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that.

He has just coughed up some thick white mucus. Does that suggest that the Bisolvon is working or would I be better getting the Robitussen?

If the coughing continues I would try the cough suppressant. If coughing up the mucus stops or reduces the coughing, then that is a sign the Bisolvon is helping.
Coughing up white thick foam can indicate fluid in the lungs, or heart disease. That is why I recommend a chest Xray.
Let me know what else I can answer.
Rebecca and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the great rating. Let me know how he is doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will do. Just trying to get in touch with my son so that if I ring the emergency vet he will be on hand to help me get him there. He's just had another bout of coughing but did not manage to get anything up.

I just feel it might be better to try and get him some help today rather than him get any worse.

I will let you know how we get on, although if might be an hoour or so before I hear from him.

Let me know when you hear anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to let you know Muffin is at the vets and they are doing blood tests and xrays this evening. If the lung condition is treatable they will go ahead and remove the growth.

So its cross fingers time. As long as they don't have an emergency we should know in a couple of hours if they will be able to operate and then we will have to hope that he can survive the operation.

I'll keep you posted and once again thank you for all your assistance this afternoon.


You are welcome. Do let me know what is found.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca,

The xrays showed that his lungs were clear and the vets removed the growth yesterday morning.

He was very groggy and uncooperative for most of the day - refusing food and water so they have kept him overnight on a drip to keep him hydrated and he is much better this morning.

He's been out and has been drinking so we are picking him up this afternoon.

When we see the vet I may get some information abouot what it was and I will let you know.


Thank you for the update.
How is Muffin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rebecca,
Muffin seems a little brighter this morning, but when I give him the Tramadol he becomes really groggy and I am struggling to get him to eat. The lab results are not back yet.
I've tried all his favourite foods without success.
I am worried about his not eating. Let me know what you get on the lab tests.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


We have been to our own vets this evening. He has had his drains removed and the vet was pleased with the healing process. Told her how 'spaced out he was with the tramadol' and she advised not to give him any more, but if he shows any discomfort tomorrow she will prescribe something different.

It would appear she is not a big fan of tramadol, saying that it can cause a feeling of sickness and who wants to eat if they feel sick.

Certainly this morning he was so much better before I gave him a half dose of it. He was watching everything that was going on. Left his bed and had a wander around the bungalow and then went out into the garden. After the tramadol in a very short time he was back in his bed, sleepy and totally indifferent to anything that was going on.

We brought him home and he had a big bowl of water and then some cooked chicken with a little rice. Not a lot but a start.

Our vet says that it may be another few days before the lab esults are back but I will let you know the results.


Please do. Glad to hear she ate a little.