How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 10920
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

Our dog a shiz/cav cross has had a epilepsy problem

This answer was rated:

Our dog a shiz/cav cross has had a epilepsy problem for last 3 years which has been controlled with Libromide, then it started up again so our vet put him on a Pexion course along side the Libromide which controlled it again for a few months, he started having seizures again so Epiphen was introduced and was taken off the Pexion, he has now started having what i can only discribe as mini fits where he stares into space, trashes about for about 5 to 10 seconds and then he seems ok, these come in stages where as soon as he gets over one another starts, he can have 5 or 6 of these one after another. our vet says he's have the maximum medication for his age and size, he last weighed 12 kilos and is coming 6 years old soon, is there any other medication etc that can be given?
Thanks, ***** *****
Hello David, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about your dog hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I can understand your concern for your dog given his continued neurologic episodes. Give the frequency of his episodes, I'd also want to try achieve better control of them.

If your dog has maxed out on his medications because blood work indicates that he's at the highest, safest therapeutic levels, then a visit to a neurologist may be a good idea if you have one close to where you live. But, if blood levels for Epiphen and Libromide haven't been done, then I would recommend them since it's quite possible that both can be increased. As dogs age, their medication frequently needs to be increased to control their seizure activity; the best way to monitor whether it's safe to do so is by knowing what the levels are in the patient's bloodstream if that makes sense.

It's also possible that the following list of drugs/supplements will be of benefit in reducing his episodes whether or not his medication is changed. Many of these products should be available over the counter except for #9 which would require them to be dispensed or prescribed by your vet.

1. Magnesium oxide (not citrate or chloride) at a dose of 200mg/day. Some forms may cause diarrhea; just reduce the dose should this happen.

2. Taurine at a dose of 500mg- 1
3. Melatonin at a dose of 1-5mg at night
4. Vitamin B6. Purchase B -50 multiple B- vitamins and give 1/2 day
5. Medium chain triglycerides (unprocessed coconut oil) 1 tsp/day but it should be the
unprocessed type
6. Vitamin E 200 IU/day

7.Omega 3 fatty acids

8. SAMe (S-adenosyl-methioine) 200 mg

9. Dogs< 50lbs, 100mg gabapentin, 1/2 60mg Cerenia
and 200mg SAM-e
in combination may be of help.
10. Vet Select Nuroplex (Seizure) Formula which is a supplement.

Homeopathy is safe - but in honesty - may not control the seizures

I hope this helps although, again, my apolgoies for the delayed reply. Deb

Dr. Deb and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, i found your information no great help at all, you told us no more than our own vet so to us its £14 wasted

I'm sorry that you feel this way although from my perspective there's value in having a current treatment plan and information supplied by one vet verified by another one.

Not too many vets are currently recommending the additional supplements/drugs which I listed so your vet must be quite current and well versed in treating dogs with epilepsy.

If this were my case, I'd recommend an MRI to determine if there's a physiologic explanation for his worsening symptoms but I do understand that this can be quite costly.

In any event, I wish you and your dog the best of luck. Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.