How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17087
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Rebecca is online now

Dark Green Brownish Dishcharge From A Pregnant Dog

This answer was rated:

Our dog is on her 50th day of pregnancy. We noticed dark green brownish discharge from her. Does this mean there's a dead pup inside? If so, could we still wait until she gets into labor or should we get her a c-section already?

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
This discharge could mean that there is something wrong with the pregnancy or one of the puppies. How is your dog doing? Is she eating and drinking? Any vomiting, or change of activity?
Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer?
The best way to proceed would be an exam by a veterinarian, to decide if this is serious enough to do an early C section. If she is acting sick or not eating or if her temperature is abnormally low or high, I would have her examined as soon as you can.
It depends on how much you want these puppies. If all you are concerned about is her health and well being, I would consider doing a spay/C section now. If you really want these puppies, then I would do an ultrasound to determine if they are alive or not and try to wait out the pregnancy until 60 days or so in hopes of getting live puppies. If you do not have access to a vet who can do ultrasound, then an Xray might help.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for reply.

She seems fine, still eats and drink. No vomiting. We just notice that her energy level is less than usual.

Her temperature is 38.7º C (101.66º F).

I'm leaning towards getting an ultrasound and waiting it out until shes ready to give birth. However, I've read that a dead pup inside might poison the other pups and the dam. Is it okay to wait 10-13 more days if there is a dead pup inside? Should we give her any medication?

Being 50 days pregnant, it is not unusual to have less energy. That is a normal rectal temperature, good.
A dead pup can poison the other pups, and the mother, if it begins to decompose. Sometimes a dead pup will "mummify" and that won't harm the other puppies or mother.
The ultrasound would be best.
There really is no medication to protect the other pups from a decomposing body. Antibiotics might help some, but probably not enough for very long. I would not start antibiotics without a definitive diagnosis because it could have adverse effects on the puppies.
Let me know what else I can answer, and how she is doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks again.

After the ultrasound (gonna do it tomorrow), if a dead pup is found, can we still wait 10-13 more days for her to give birth?

If the ultrasound shows normal pups, and a dead or decomposing one, it is a risk to wait. However, if you want a chance at live puppies, waiting is all you can do.
My concern would be the health of the mother. I would ask the veterinarian doing the ultrasound, who is looking at the images, and is able to see and examine your dog, what is the best course of action.
Rebecca and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the great rating and the bonus.
Let me know how she is doing.
How is your dog and her pregnancy doing?