How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 10923
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

My 10 year old German Short hired pointer has been suffering

This answer was rated:

My 10 year old German Short hired pointer has been suffering from skin allergies since the age of 2, which start in March/April and stop in September until the next year. She has been on Atopica on the summer only and this used to be very effective (although I always worried about the long-term side effects.) She has now developed some arthritic pain which has been effectively treated with Loxicom during the winter when needed.
Atopica has for the the first time caused some continuing diarrhoea. I stopped it when I had to give her a weeks Lexicon and for a week the allergy seemed to have calmed down.
The problem is can I give both medications at the same time when necessary? She can go for some weeks without arthritic pain, but then it reappears. I do not want to kill her with these quite potent drugs which, I know, can have an effect I the kidneys.
Would steroids be better? In early spring 1-2 steroids a day did the trick with the allergy. She ways 33 kg.
I would be grateful for some advice.
Heidi Boreham

Hello Heidi, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Sasha hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

Both of these drugs can be given concurrently but you'll just want to check kidney and liver values periodically to insure that harm isn't being done. If she's well controlled with Atopica, then I don't see a need for steroids. In fact if steroids were to be given, you wouldn't be able to give Loxicam at the same time since this would be contraindicated and increase the risk of gastric ulceration (among other problems).

And, steroids aren't quite as effective for arthritis pain and discomfort as Loxicam would be.

You might also ask your vet about Apoquel which is a relatively new drug which is reported to be superior to Atopica (or steroids) for control of canine allergy issues. There wouldn't be any contraindications to taking it with Loxicam either; it would be safe to do so.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Dr. Deb and 5 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you