Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is persistently vomiting-yellow then white bile

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- How long has this been going on? 5- How often is she vomiting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. She hasn't anything different to eat or go into anything.

2. Not sure of weight, small for her breed.

3. No pre-existing medical conditions

4. Been going on for about four hours but it seems to have stopped now after happening about every half hour

She is due her shots-boosters, including for kennel cough and I was concerned it was that she had picked up but she hasn't vomited for over an hour now-actually she wants to go for her walk so I,m going to take her see how it goes.

She is also overdue to come into season

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep indoors in a cool room when fasting. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet. 4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter